(NC)-This is an easy recipe for homemade play dough. The dough can be moulded into any shape. Then, air dry ‘art’ or bake it the oven. (Remember that this recipe is for art only and shouldn’t be eaten!) For more fun recipes, visit us at http://www.robinhood.ca.
2 cups Robin Hood All Purpose Flour (500 mL)
1 cup salt (250 mL)
1/4 cup Crisco Vegetable Oil (50 mL)
1 cup water (250 mL)
food colouring, optional
Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add vegetable oil and stir. Add water a little at a time and stir until dough holds together.
Knead on floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Divide dough into several pieces.
Add food colouring if using and knead until colour is evenly incorporated. Store in an airtight container until needed.
The dough can now be moulded into any shape you or your kids would like. Try our Robin Hood cookie cutter shapes or use your imagination.
Your children’s creations can either be air dried for 48 hours or baked on parchment lined baking sheets at 325ºF (160ºC). Bake for 30 minutes per 1/4″ (0.3 cm) of dough. Turn off oven and allow creations to cool completely in the oven. This will prevent cracking.
- If dough is air drying, it is ready to decorate when dough is rock hard and white in appearance.
- Flour your hands occasionally to prevent the dough from sticking.
- To stick two pieces of dough together, moisten with water and press into place.
- If some parts of dough are browning faster than others, cover with aluminum foil.
- To preserve your kids’ creations, spray with shellac (available at Craft Stores – have a parent do this!)